Monday, May 2, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent

I found this recipe over at diy Natural and decided to give it a shot. I wanted to stop polluting the earth with those plastic jugs every couple of weeks and save some money too. There are only 3 ingredients and all but one are easy to find. Bar soap, borax, and washing soda. I had the first 2 ingredients already but had to do some investigating to find the washing soda. They didn't have it at my grocery store or Target but I managed to track it down at good ol' Ace Hardware. Needless to say, I stocked up since I also plan to make my own dishwashing detergent later this week with the washing soda. You can also find all the ingredients at Amazon but they are a little more expensive.

I've already done 2 loads of laundry with it and it seems to be working great. I may change soaps (I used Ivory) as I'm not fond of the scent, but other than that, it does the job!

Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe, by Matt Jabs

● 1 bar of shaved bar soap (Ivory, ZOTE, Fels-Naptha)
(I got 10 bars at Target for $3)

● 1 cup borax
($2.99/box at Target)

● 1 cup washing soda
($5.99/box at Ace Hardware)

Grate the bar soap, add borax and washing soda and mix well until it forms a fine powder. Use 1-2 tablespoons per load. Also works with HE washers.

I keep mine in a recycled glass pickle jar with a tablespoon scoop inside, properly labeled of course.

No comments: